Monday, October 25, 2010

31 for 21 Day 25: Calming Fears about Baby #2

Jen from Hiatt - Party of 4 posted this wonderful entry a few days ago and I just had to share.  As you know, I've been nervous about how baby #2 will handle having a big sister with Down syndrome.  What will it mean for her as a young child being toted around to various therapies, when she goes to school, teasing from peers, pressure to care for her when we are too old and decrepit, etc.  Lots to worry about, but I need to keep in mind that ultimately what is most important is that we will love this new baby with all our hearts and teach her to be more caring and loving because of her sister.  We hope that this will translate into a very strong bond between them, but only time will tell that.  Heck, my sister and I didn't get along for years and now I can't imagine my life without her!

I really enjoyed reading this and I hope you will too:

Thursday, October 14, 2010


DS and my daughter (to see some adorable pictures of the big brother and little sister you should click on this link)

Before we even conceived our daughter I knew that she would be amazing. I knew that extra chromosome that her brother carries would affect her in such a positive way. While Hannah is only 3 and in the throws of being a strong willed drama queen I can already tell she is going to be a more compassionate, understanding young woman than I ever was. What some would call different is normal for her and that is something I wish all children were exposed to. I believe it would make for a much more understanding society. Maybe there would be less bullying in school and more acceptance. I watch Hannah at Zach's soccer games and I love that kids in wheelchairs, using walkers and walking with crutches don't phase her one bit. She doesn't even notice it. I also love that she understands Zach's speech better than we do. There are times I am not understanding what he is telling me and I ask him to repeat it and finally Hannah will turn to me and say "he said........". That warms my heart. I have no doubt that they will continue to be great friends and that she will likely be his biggest advocate.

No comments:

Post a Comment