Spelling tests have been a major issue for us. At first the tests weren't modified at all. Full number of words (10), same complex sentence, everything was the same as every other student. This did not work for Sweet Pea and she had almost no success with them. We have started implementing different ideas over the course of the school year and I feel like we are finally getting traction.
What is working:
- We have shortened her list to only 6 words.
- Letter blocks to show general outline of words (you will see this used in the video).
- Her sentence is simpler and shorter.
- Her sentence is tested by:
- using word blocks that she picks from including punctuation
- then she copies the sentence that she created from the word blocks
A great program that we have also enjoyed using is Spelling City which is accessible via both their website and an iPad app.
Hope this helps others!