Friday, October 22, 2010

31 for 21 Day 22: Ear Infection Update

I apparently was plain old WRONG on Monday when I said that Sweet Pea's ear infection was getting better with the antibiotics.  Last night we practically got zero sleep thanks to a poor little girl who kept waking up screaming.  She wouldn't calm down just by being patted on the back or by turning on her seahorse so we knew something wasn't right.  I really can't wait for her to be able to tell us what hurts!  I need to start working on that with her because it will be so useful for a very long time it seems!

After the long night we decided that another trip to the doctor should be in the plans for the day so that we could have her looked at before the weekend.  Glad we did!  Turns out that the antibiotics aren't working and her left ear has probably perforated so we not only get to switch antibiotics, but also we get to put drops in her ears twice a day!  If anyone has any brilliant ideas on how to keep a infant/toddler on her side for 15 minutes with drops in her ears so she is screaming, please let me know!  I put the first batch of drops in her a few hours ago and I wedged myself behind her on the couch (mind you my belly is getting bigger so this is harder than it should be) and tried my best to keep her still and on her side.  She cried for about 5 minutes and then passed out from exhaustion.  It wasn't fun, but it was at least successful for the most part and so I'll take that!

We have no idea how this will impact her ear tube surgery that is scheduled for Nov. 2nd.  We see the ENT on Thursday for our pre-op appointment and I will know more then.  If it really is perforated then we may only be doing one tube for now, but again, I'm not a doctor and all of this is new to me so I will wait to see what our ENT says on Thursday.

Please think positive thoughts for little Sweet Pea so that she can get better really soon.  Not only does she need her sleep, but mommy and daddy do too!

5 comments:

  1. Poor baby! Sean is on meds for an ear infection right now, too. You are right, the drops are hard to do. Luckily, he only needs it 2x a day, so I get them in in the morning while he's snuggling in bed & then at bedtime while he is settling down for the night.

    Hope her new abx helps quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, poor sweet pea...thinking about you guys and for quick healing! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, poor thing! I hope she gets better really soon, it sounds like tubes would be a great thing for her. Hope you all get some rest soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hoping she feels better in a jiffy.You all need your sleep.Makes for a happier household all around.

    Zoey has the blue and the pink seahorse ... loves them.

    Still planning on going to the Buddy Walk.We need to make sure we connect!

    ReplyDelete